I know it’s the 5th but HAPPY NEW YEAR! The last month has been totally exhausting. Before Christmas I did my first ever stint of jury service (at the Old Bailey no less) and it was emotionally draining and not exactly what I wanted to do right before Christmas. But the festive season was suitably relaxing, followed by a quick trip to Berlin for New Year’s Eve and lots of time catching up with friends.
As I missed last week’s Added Extras, here’s a round-up of the last fortnight:
1) I love Christmas dinner, but the best bit? The leftovers. Cold meats, pickles, chutneys, and on the 27th, my mum’s legendary turkey and ham pie. I heard my stomach rumble for the first time in weeks yesterday and wondered what the hell was going on.
2) Board games are a favourite in my family and we’re all pretty ruthless when it comes to winning. For the first time ever I won a game of Cluedo and was not subtle in my celebrations, especially after my shocking score from Scrabble the night before.
3) My best friend treated me to tickets to see The Nutcracker at The Coliseum just after Christmas. She lives in Hong Kong and goes to the ballet quite often, but I’ve only been twice before. It was totally magical and I can see why little girls want to learn how to spin in those tutus – they all looked beautiful.
4) I finally made it to DF/Mexico (review to come) and was not disappointed. The decor inside was fantastic too.
5) It’s been great spending time with my aforementioned friend, Alice. I only see her once or twice a year but we speak pretty much everyday (thank yooooooou, internet). We’ve been out for dinner, taken in an exhibition and the ballet, and then spent four whole days in Berlin over new year. I can’t wait to visit her in Hong Kong again in April!
6) I love Christmas as all of my far-away friends come back to the country. On Saturday I met with my oldest friend, Phoebe and her husband Georges who I haven’t seen since their wedding in May as they live in Australia. We walked in the drizzle from Old Street to Hackney via Andina for lunch and then on to Berber & Q for dinner and it was like I’d seen them only yesterday.
|Photo courtesy of Georges Antoni|
What has perked up your week? I hope going back to work isn’t too painful for everyone!