In the immortal words of the poet that is Ronan Keating, ‘Life is a rollercoaster.’ Except, the one I’m on is making me so damn exhausted. There’s been a lot of changes going on and they’re definitely all for the best, but please can I just skip forward to 27th December when I’m on a plane to South Africa, hurtling towards sunshine and AWAY from real life for a bit.
I was totally supposed to publish this on Tuesday but then I met up with Katy for ONE drink and then we had all the drinks and then went to Wahaca and then I got home and had some quality time with a pint of water before very quickly going to bed. And then yesterday was Bake Off, and #prioirities. So here’s the best bits of the last couple of weeks. Even later than it was going to be to begin with:
1) Spending the afternoon at the Bloggers Blog Awards in Leeds was fun and inspiring in equal measure. It was so heartwarming to see wonderful Katy win two awards, heckle Mike as he accepted his award for Best Food Blogger, and cheer Emma for getting highly commended in her category. We drank prosecco and mingled and giggled and then ate a massive Indian meal and were in our pjs watching Pitch Perfect at Michelle’s house by 9pm. IDEAL.
2) The day after the awards we decided to do a quick trip to my old uni town of York. I still love that city so dearly and not only is it packed with happy memories, it’s also so beautiful. We met up with one of my best friends and his boyfriend for a wander, and I even bumped into a girl I used to work with at Lush when I was a student which was SUCH a lovely surprise (especially as she doesn’t even live in York anymore!).
3) On Friday, AJ and I headed to Crouch End for a very special David Bowie tribute night. Run by Immersive Music, the night included fancy dress, crazy decorations and a beautiful beer garden where we put the world to rights before dancing away to Bowie classics.
4) I had a late birthday surprise from one of my best friends at the weekend. I was treated to a Midsummer Nights Dream themed afternoon tea next to The Globe and we indulged in scotch eggs, croque monsieurs and Love Potion cocktails. It was so good that I couldn’t get a proper photo because Jen kept sniffing it. Exhibit A:
5) After a really tiring, long and damn right confusing week, I spent Sunday just looking after myself. I had a big fat lie-in, then went to the gym, bought myself a load of goodies at the supermarket, whipped up a cracking stew for dinner and then watched Pitch Perfect 2 in my pyjamas with my housemate. I needed Sunday so much.
6) I finally bought myself a new set of pillows and holy baby Jesus did I sleep well last night!
7) One of the main things that cheers me up when I’m down is planning holidays. I’ve been catching up with my friend in Cape Town and throwing ideas around of what we’re going to do when I’m there (which now includes a trip to Cape Agulhas which is where the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meet and you can actually SEE the line where they collide!). I also might end up going to Oman around Easter because I’m desperate to see my best friend and that seems to be a good mid-point between the UK and her home of Hong Kong. Watch this space…
8) God bless my lovely friends for being around exactly when I need them. Both Claire and AJ made emergency pit stops near to my office this week to provide coffee and cuddles when I just need a ‘moment’.
9) I bought myself a spur of the moment present as the clock turned midnight on my birthday this year and three weeks later, it’s finally here! Embroidered, baby blue faux leather jacket. So unnecessary and so wonderful.
10) And finally, you know what’s nice? People being nice. I’ve had some awesome blog comments recently (especially about my jumpsuit outfit, you fabulous humans), as well as friends taking the time to just drop me a message to let me know they’re always here for me. My mum, as ever, has let me rant down the phone to her. My housemates, who have known me for two months, have been plentiful with hugs and prosecco and laughs. People are nice. Especially my people.
I’ve got a hen party this weekend which I’ve organised so feeling preeeeeeeeeeetty nervous about how that’s going to go down. But aside from that, not much is going on. Which is good. Because I’m skint. And lazy.
Have a good week, you lovely bunch!